Saturday, August 20, 2011

Adventure Ride, Saturday, July 30th: Day 8

I knew it was going to be hot as a cheerleader on prom night as soon as the sun peeked over the mountains, so I was determined to break camp before that happened.  It didn't work out, but we did get on our way before it hit 85 degrees. 
  I've driven the main highway between McCall and Moscow many times while attending U of I (Go Vandals!), but I have never taken the old highway up Whitebird hill.  From the main highway, it looks like a meandering, curvy road.  I finally had the opportunity to climb this old highway, and boy was it a blast!  What better way to do it but on a bike!  Maybe it would be better on a sport- or sport-touring bike...
The old Whitebird grade

At the top of Whitebird
We rode into Grangeville (again) for a quick breakfast at the local diner.  Come to find out, it's the ONLY place to eat other than the Hilltop Cafe, which I believe is a burger-and-shake joint.  After a disappointing search for another breakfast place, we came back to the local diner for a nice lunch...they had great iced tea!
  The plan was to hit old highway 7 north to highway 12 after brunch, but I got lost pretty quick when we missed the old highway 7 turnoff and rolled into Cottonwood.  Mike worked some fancy GPS magic and amazingly got us back on highway 7...maybe it wasn't really that amazing...that fan-dangled GPS could find an honest politician in a brothel...  He said didn't miss the old highway 7 turnoff, he just really wanted to check out Cottonwood.  I don't buy it! 
  Riding north on highway 7, Mike turned right on a road whose sign read 'Greer Grade'.  I had spent two summers traveling from Moscow to Weippe, and had driven up the Greer grade on the NORTH side of the river.  But I didn't know there was a Greer Grade on the SOUTH of the river...and it wasn't paved!  Sweet!
Greer Grade South of river

Scotty on Bumblebee making dust on Greer Grade

Bottom of Greer Grade, on Highway 12...again
  Once on highway 12 again, we decided to check out Dwarshak dam...why not, since we're here?

Mike and Scott in front of Dwarshak Dam

Mike and the Fud in front of Dwarshak Dam
  There's a pretty nice bar at the bridge over the south fork (below Dwarshak), so we stopped for a beer and a game plan.  We were to continue on to Kendrick and up the grade...which was awesome!  Again, climbing twisties...the last time I had been on these roads I was riding a Honda Shadow.  Believe me, it was tons better on this thumper...even though it was as loaded as Mick Jagger on a gig-night.  Trying to keep up with Mike's 950 was also a fun challenge, and I'm sure he was just cruizin'...not even blowin' out da carbon!
  We decided to bed down for the night on the Palouse River, so we made our way north.  I was in the lead and was doing my standard five-minute check on the pack in the rear-view mirror when I noticed there was only one light...and it was Scotty.  A 10-minute wait produced the stragglers with a new situation I'd never thought of before.  Fud was riding with his vents open and sleeves loose for better air-flow (I was too), and a bee had flown up his sleeve!  A sting on the elbow caused Fud to perform 'the fastest stop I've ever seen that purple beemer make!' (Mike's words...he was following the Fud).  I'm sure that stop was one-handed accompanied by an elbow-slapping maneuver...quite talented, that Fud!
     We continued on to the Palouse River and found great little spot right on the stream... 

Day 8 Camp: Palouse River

Fud in the Butterfly Chair sportin' his designer boots...stylish...
Check it out, the granola chair is still intact and un-burned!  At this point the chair has grown on everyone...except Mike...this chair had spilled too many of his drinks (and Fud's) for his liking.  Scott was secretly hoping Fud would get fed up with the thing and give it to him.  No dice this trip!  Fud did mention that since Scotty and I are smart fellers, we should design one "just %15 bigger...that would be just about right!".  He also gave us a great Fudism this night...it went something like: 'Education sprinkled with a little common sense goes a long way...' (Fud, July 30, 2011).  Well-said Fud...I couldn't agree with you more...
Fud sportin' the sting...and some guns...you work out?

  While I was setting up my tent, this camouflaged cozy and un-opened Pabst presented itself to me!  I say 'presented' because it was almost as if it KNEW I needed a beer...how else would a camo-beer be found?  Seriously folks, I don't believe in that fate mumbo-jumbo, bit this was a sign...a sign that said to me, "Phil, I know haven't had a whole lot to drink on this trip since the Lolo Hot Springs incident.  It's time you had a nice cold beer before you eat one of those dehydrated meals...enjoy!".  I HAD to drink it...and I did...and it was delicious!  Back in the saddle?  Yes sir, I do believe some drinkin' is in order...

Scotty hummin' over his tasty Chili-fries
  I think I had the Chili-mac and beef dehydrated meal this night.  For those of you that are thinking, "Poppycock on those things!  I'll never eat THOSE!"...think again folks.  My buddy Pat turned me on to these amazing feasts, and I didn't believe it completely either until I tried them.  They are awesome!  Just add a couple cups of hot water, wait for 15 minutes, and boink!  Bob's your uncle...  I had  lasagne the night before that was as good or better than the slop you get in any Italian restaurant.  If you still don't believe me, try one.  I'd even go out on a limb and say you could make one of these meals for your honey and get props and massages...or at least another date.  For reals...try em'!
Day 8 Track
  The batteries went dead in my GPS, so the pink shows the rest of the track as a route...

No comments:

Post a Comment