Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Canning...

  I have an addiction...I think it stems from what my parents used to do to me when I was a kid.  I still don't think it's terribly awful, and I certainly don't think I need therapy.  I suffer from an affliction called gorgious-peachosis...gorging on peaches! 
  I grew up in Colorado where a great, juicy, softball-sized peach (a MAN's softball that is...) was just an hour or two away in Green River.  Since moving to northern Idaho close to the Washington border, I have finally been able to find some really great fruit again...and I have some catching up to do!  I think I ate half of the first box of Red Globes we bought, then got a crazy idea...why don't we can some for winter?  I realize not many people my age can fruit, but like I said....I'm sick.  And how bad-ass would it be to have peach pie in winter!?
  Here's a pic of our initial efforts...
Joycie and the peaches
   ...as you can tell, me wifey is prego.  We were also thinking we could make some baby food as well.  While we were at it, we also decided to make some peach jam...and it ROCKS!  For those who don't know me, I'm a huge sucker for Raspberry Jam (yes, it's capitalized...as it should be), and Peach Jam comes in a VERY close second.
  So I didn't think this was enough to last all winter, so I bought another box!  This box was dedicated to peach jam, and I found raspberries on sale so we made some jam wit dem babies too!  About two weeks later, the Red Globes were gone from the stores so I bought another box of whatever they had left....as well as a box of bartlett pears....and we got busy!

Ummmm...I think that's enough now.  This batch took us 5 hours to complete, which felt an awful lot like work.  The canning thing is a giant pain in the pit, but it will be well worth it this winter...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment